When it comes to remodeling projects, homeowners often dream of building a four star hotel like master suite or luxurious master bath. While these types of renovations may be worth it to some, for the most part the large investments they require are not worth it when it comes to resell. If you are aiming for maximum return on your remodeling dollars instead of a resort like experience, then these following five projects are sure to give you the best bang for your buck when the time comes to sell.
- Flooring: With an up to 75% payback on each dollar spent, installing new hardwood flooring can both brighten up a dated room and make a small room seem larger. For a less expensive option, you can consider simply refurbishing the floors by having a professional sand and reseal your existing hardwoods.
- Kitchen: As the most used room in the house, it is no surprise that a kitchen remodel can give you a great return on your money at around 80% of what you spend. From upgrading appliances and counter tops to installing a back splash, kitchen renovations offer plenty of options for a wide range of budgets.
- Bathrooms: Minor bathroom remodels yield about 75% return on your investment and turning a half bath into a full bath with the addition of a shower can make a home much more marketable. While bathroom remodels are usually great for resale, be sure to not overdo it as the more expensive the remodel, the less you are likely to recoup.
- Closets: Few things kill a home sale faster than small, cramped closets. With that in mind, it is often a good idea to expand and remodel your bedroom closets in order to optimize your resell ability. Wooden organizers, while expensive, are usually the best use of remodeling dollars as they are always in high demand.
- Energy Upgrades: As the cost of energy continuously creeps upward, home buyers are increasingly looking to buy more energy efficient homes. As such, energy efficient upgrades such as new windows can deliver around a 75% return on your investment and make your home more desirable for buyers.
Remodeling projects can do a great deal for both your enjoyment of a home as well as your ability to sell it for top dollar. With that in mind, if your focus is to get the most value for your money, then these five remodeling projects are without a doubt the best places to spend your remodeling dollars. From new flooring to energy efficient windows, your home’s resell value is sure to improve and you can be confident that you spent your money wisely as well.
Please feel free to leave your comments and suggestions below.
Image Courtesy: Microsoft Office