The scorching heat is back and it’s time to gear up to face a whole load of issues that the summer brings with it.. Be it in office or home, it is important to adopt a completely different diet, wardrobe and a slew of habits that will help keep your system cool and hydrated. Let’s take a look at 5 different ways to beat the heat!
The Right Summer Diet
Diet plays a vital role in keeping your body cool and preventing a sun stroke or complete dehydration. Even though, we all know water is the all time best drink to go for, some points that need attention are:
- Don’t drink water which is too cold or too hot. Ideal temperature is must for the water to work effectively.
- Drink at regular intervals but avoid too much intake of water as it will deter food intake leading to loss of energy.
- Even when not thirsty, drink some water to keep your body hydrated and blood vessels active.
What to Eat or Not
- Hot & spicy food should be strictly avoided.
- Sugary foods, be it solid items or liquid drinks are bad for summer.
- Intake fruits in the form of salads and fresh juices.
- Thin buttermilk, coconut water and lime juice are excellent coolants.
- Wet your pulse points with running cold water to make your body cool.
- Wear mildly wet clothes while going out or staying indoors as it will keep your skin safe from the heat.
- Shower twice compulsorily every day,Thrice is even better!
What to Wear in Summer
Light coloured cotton wear is the most effective armor against the sun (and it’s chic too)
- Guayaberas are best for men. They are commonly known as bowling or beach shirts to be worn untucked for maximum comfort.
- Avoid wearing a coat unless your profession demands it. Change your inners/socks on a daily basis.
- Have 3-5 pairs of pure cotton t-shirts to wear at.
Women are more prone to heat infused health issues than men due to softer skin. Hence it is important for women to take extra care.
- Halter tops are a good choice for girls. Long t-shirts and loose fitting jeans are just as effective while being fashionable too.
- Long skirts will do nicely if you still want a tan.
Sunscreens & Deodrants
Sunscreens are a must during the hot months. While picking a sunscreens from the endless choices available try opting for a sunscreen cum fairness cream with SPF 15 or more. It is the least number available. For sensitive skin, opt for SPF 30 or higher.
- Use deodorants from trusted brands only and if you are used to one, buy those special editions marketed exclusively during summer.
- Keep 1 or 2 extra lotions/deos in your wardrobe so as not to go out on a sunny day and get all sweaty.
Beating the heat is a hard task for all of us, but if you alter your usual lifestyle so as to stay cool and healthy, summer can be really fun!