The term ‘voice care’ differs from the term ‘voice pampering ‘. When it comes to voice pampering, it means over caring of voice i.e. preserving the voice against every natural thing in the environment – NOT getting used to normal cold bath, cold drinks, chocolates, ice creams, oily food occasionally and exposure to moderate winter and rainy season.
So, the process of not getting accustomed to all the above things will further make the human voice very sensitive to even subtle climate changes,water changes, mild environmental pollution etc.
A human body should be moderately tuned and adapted to the nature around us and so, the voice. By exposing the body to the nature around us, we develope natural immunity and resistance towards every thing to an extent. Thus, we avoid unnecessary medications and antibiotics, and also self medications.
When it refers to the the professional singers, speakers, teachers, preachers, dubbing artistes etc., their main capitation is the VOICE. Their occupation solely depends on the voice.
So, how to take care of the voice?
- One should know the difference between use and abuse of the voice. Abusing means over shouting, continuous conversations, frequent phone, mobile calls, exercising the voice beyond certain limits, thus straining the vocal cords.
- When one feels that his or her voice is tired and the timbre changes, certainly a complete voice rest is to be ensured for few minutes to few hours. The rest time should be completely maintained in silence – either in sleeping or in writing, drawing, painting, watching TV etc.
- When there is a throat infection, self medication should be avoided definitely in the first stage. It is advised to go for salt water gargling, taking warm to hot tea or coffee in sips or even hot water. Again a complete voice rest is a must when the infection persists.
- During continuous usage of voice i.e. while taking lectures, giving performances, speeches etc. one is advised to take sips of hot water in regular intervals of every 20 mins. to 1/2 hr. gap. This will prevent, in turn, the dryness of voice and thus, making the vocal cords more flexible and smooth, also removing the mild inflammations due to over usage.
- Last not the least, one should not be over conscious about the voice care and maintenance. Everything in moderate is a bliss !!!